Daily reads

The power of ignoring mainstream news

5 Tricks to Get More Done While Working Remotelypablo (13)Catch all the great tweets from the chat here, or read on for the highlights:

How do you define “remote working?”

From Rodolphe:
Remote working is the ability to work from anywhere, with/for people that can be located anywhere too! :)
More great insights:
  • “Remote working is working from anywhere that’s not the actual, physical workplace. Even if both are in the same town.” @V4Violetta
  • “Remote working is the freedom to be wherever you do your best work.” @Tylerrobb
  • “Being anywhere in the world, fulfilling the requirements of a job with support from others only really via technology” @rebeccalouiseee

What are some of the major benefits working remotely?

From Rodolphe:
  • I truly enjoy the flexibility remote working brings, you get to manage your energy and your time every day.
  • Remote working allows me to spend quality time with friends & family and to travel more (up to 50% of my time)
  • I love @joelgascoigne‘s answer: people choose ideal work environment (home, office), instead of forced into 1 setup by company
More great insights:
  • “It can also save both the company and the employees money, with rent/utilities for the biz, and commute for the emps.” @bberg1010
  • “Working remotely = increased productivity due to less distractions/people stopping by.” @The_ChrisBryant
  • “I truly believe if we eliminate “rush hours”, the world will become a better place with less stress, more empathy :D” @julietchen
Where do you find yourself most productive? On a plane, train, or maybe even the coffee shop?
pablo (35)
From Rodolphe:
  • Since not all tasks are created equal, breaking tasks down in actionable items on paper really helps my productivity.
  • I’m a fan of mixing locations: Mornings at coffee shops, afternoons in a coworking space & evenings at home :)
More great insights:
  • “I do my most productive thinking & planning from my backyard.” @LMHinz
  • “Not any particular physical place, but with a good cup of coffee and sweet music pumping through my headphones.” @KeewonMa
  • “My balcony has some magical power…it’s by far the most productive space for me…maybe bc I’m removed from distractions” @apartmentalist

What are some tools you use to keep on-task and organized while on the go?

From Rodolphe:
More great tools:

How do you network and meet people without an ‘office’ environment?

From Rodolphe:
Socializing as a remote worker is tricky, at @buffer we’re lucky to meet up every 5 months through our retreats
More great advice:

Is working remotely the future of work?

From Rodolphe:
  • There will be about 40 million of full/part time independents workers in the US by 2019 (source @MBOpartners) :)
  • Also, cost savings for companies & time savings for employees – remote working in gaining a lot of grounds!
  • Remote is an evolution of today’s workplace and will certainly be offered as an option for workers in the future
  • Workers will be able to experience remote, and see how it feels for them to work & interact this way
  • Hiring talent from anywhere will help building amazing and diverse teams!
More great insights:
  • “It as the future of work is probably a stretch. More orgs will definitely redefine their model to include remote work.” @2025Solutions
  • “I think part-time WFH, like on Fridays or in the AM to avoid traffic, is a great “future shift”. @avizuber
  • “Some people want/need an office or group environment. But for those that want to be remote, I think it will become easier.” @Odalis_SM

What are some helpful blogs and resources on remote working?

From Rodolphe:
More great resources:
xxx

This year, I’ve been lucky to work & travel in Paris, Malaga, Copenhagen, Casablanca, London, Amsterdam, San Francisco, Barcelona…
There’s one question that’s always in the back on my mind:
How can I be as productive as possible remotely?

Well, joining our newsletter is a great start ☺


I’ve tried many different experiments to do more in less time this year, and I thought I would share 5tricks that became part of my routine.

1) Reducing the noise

Work & learn more by minimizing distractions
Since April, AdBlock blocked a total of 62,439 Ads for me: I just love it ☺
that’s blocking 300+ Ads everyday!
Cognitive overload is an issue in our information dense world — it feels great to have (a little) more control on it all!

2) Saving instead of Clicking

“Hey buddy, you’re gonna love this article!”
Here’s an example: It’s Tuesday, 11am — I’m working away on a project, when Twitter prompts something of interest…
Oh, man, I’m interested! Let me just click and see what it’s all about…
…No, wait a minute, I’ve been in this situation hundreds of time: I’m about to click away and lose my focus…
Yes, I want to read this article! And if I read it now, I’ll lose my focus for sure! Instead, I add content to Pocket, it bookmarks things on all devices — I then review it in my own time.

3) Organizing information

“Yep, I saw that on her blog!”
I’m currently trying to shy away from Mainstream news to focus on content that really interests me ☺
Feedly is a great home for the 141 blogs/publications I follow, sorting them by categories makes it super easy to read and keep track of my friends, interests and work-related topics!
Channeling RSS Feeds through Feedly
Once a week, I explore what is saved in Pocket or Feedly and decide whether I want to read, share and/or save those articles.
Buffer (I currently work there!) help me organize content to be shared multiple times, across various profiles easily:
I’m posting 23 times a day on average across all my profiles and projects.
Buffer’s Campaign Scheduler

4) Keep on Learning

“You need to read this book!…”
If Warren Buffet can still make time to read, I figure I can do that too, especially when engaging in those longer commutes.
My colleagues love to read, they always have great recommendations,
When I find something interesting, I go ahead and YouTube proof it:
Do I enjoy this topic enough to spend 5–10 hours reading about it?
Speed-watching a video (2x speed) on the topic helps me find out,
Watching videos at 2x speed — YouTube.com
Ok, that’s my kind of book! Now what?
Highlighting — kindle.amazon.com
Kindle reading is awesome! One of my favourite things is to Highlight parts I like so that I can reference back to it later on.
Equally awesome, I recently got addicted to Audible.com:
Most audio books I found are 6 to 9-hour long,
You can listen to them at 3x speed…
Going through an entire book through a flight, or a single afternoon:
Audible.com — Amazon”s audiobook platform
Be advised that 3x listening requires your full attention…

5) Concentration flow

How long should you spend on any given task?
I’m a big fan of allowing myself a given time box, say 20 minutes, to send an email or make progress on a project (like writing this article), it helps me spend the right amount of time on projects: no more, no less.
Timeboxing on Moosti.com

“Timeboxing allocates a fixed time period to each planned activity”

Also, I love to listen to music when I’m working. Very often, I hum along or simply sing out loud! An option I found to listen to music and stay focus is to use focusatwill.com to keep a musical background that helps do more:
Listening to focusatwill.com

focus@will is a new neuroscience based music service”



What changed?

Getting organized helped me being either on or off and reducing my “idle time”, while still learning new things everyday.

0 comentários:

Enviar um comentário